DMX USB PRo FAQPN 70304
USB PRO doesn't work with PC (Windows)
USB PRO doesn't work with Mac OS (OSX or MacOS)OSX 10.11 (El Capitan) and above is now supported by all ENTTEC Apps, using Apple USB driver
- Install the drivers using the link under download section or install PRO-Manager (which will install the necessary drivers for you).
- Once drivers are installed correctly, you can verify it by checking device manager (Device Manager):
- For any 3rd party Apps that don't yet support Apple's USB driver, follow this temporary workaround:
- You can disable Apple's driver by running the following command, while the device is connected
- Once Apple's driver is disabled, USB communication using D2XX driver will be enabled
- Open Terminal.app and run the following command:
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBFTDI
- Please note: This command will have to be run each time your Mac is restarted
Once the USB connector is plugged in, the LED should blink once, once this has happened, the device will try to establish a connection with the host computer, when in operation this LED should blink at the same pace DMX packets are being transferred. Mac OSX: Enttec USB Pro not found1. Please install PRO-Manager (which will install the necessary drivers for you) You can also verify whether DMX USB PRO is listed under System Information as shown:
My USB Pro Won’t turn on
3. Once you have disabled Apple/VCP driver, please re-plug DMX USB PRO into USB port or restart your Mac, and DMX USB PRO will be found as expected4. Once you have the DMX USB PRO identified as shown in the pictures, you can use PRO-Manager to test your DMX USB PRO. DMX usb pro has stopped responding?1. This could either be a driver issue, or your DMX USB PRO needs to be flashed with it's firmware. -Please try unplugging and plugging back into the computer - If that fails you will need to re flash the firmware.2. Follow the restore process using pro Manager Where can I find information about intergrating the USB Pro API?Available on the download section of the website & the USB Pro Page. – For the Pro MK2 proof of the serial number must be sent to an office in order to Why do my lights flicker when I’m using the USB Pro?It is possible that your lights don't support full refresh rates of DMX (40 fps and above) You can lower the DMX refresh rate on your DMX USB PRO using PRO-Manager (use 25 fps and below for such lights) Will the DMX USB Pro work with my Software?DMX DMX USB Pro supports a wide range of software available on Windows & Mac – the complete list can be found on the DMX USB Pro’s page on the Enttec website Full list is available here DMX USB Pro Does Not output DMX
- If PRO-Manager cannot find your DMX USB PRO, your Mac might have a conflicting driver installed
(OSX 10.9 - OSX 10.10 only). Download & install this utility, and disable the Apple/VCP Driver: (click here to download)
- Simply run the utility, click the button and type in your password.
- You must be logged into OS X as an admin user (verify this from System Preferences > Users & Groups)
- You must have a non-blank password configured (see http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13861 )
MAC OSX Problems? (The OLD Way)PRO-Manager needs D2XX driver installed on OSX. It's possible that you have an older driver installed, which is causing conflict. To remove the drivers from Mac OS X, the user must be logged on as root. Root is a reserved username that has the privileges required to access all files. Start a Terminal session (Go > Applications > Utilities > Terminal) and enter the following commands at the command prompt:
- If the green led on the PRO is blinking: it means it's outputting DMX
- Please use PRO-Manager and use DMX Test to send test patterns to your lights
- ENTTEC recommends using good 5-pin DMX cable or 3 to 5pin DMX converters only
- Make sure your lights are addressed correctly by the software
- If not sure what address your lights are patched to, send to all address (512 channels)
- Test with another set of lights if you can
How can I ensure a reliable DMX setup?Follow these helpful rules while using DMX:
- cd /System/Library/Extensions
- sudo rm -r FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext
- cd /Library/Receipts
- sudo rm -r FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext
- Up to 32 devices
Up to 32 devices may be connected in a daisy-chain, with a terminator on the last device.
Using a DMX splitter/repeater (opto-isolator) can extend both cable distance (as the signal is regenerated and re-transmitted) and the number of devices (up to 32 per branch)
- Up to 100 meters
DMX can only travel up to 100 meters before the signal weakens.
- 5-Pin XLR Plugs
DMX officially supports 5-Pin XLR DMX cables only. However there are readily available 3-pin XLR converters, but it is important to ensure these are DMX compatible (correct pin-out).
DO NOT USE Microphone/audio Cables Many people often substitute cheaper balanced audio cable (regular microphone cable) with tragic results. Audio cable cannot support the signal rate required by the high speed DMX protocol. While the signal may pass over short distances, it is highly susceptible to interference and degradation, causing unpredictable results (such as blinking lights, confused intelligent fixtures, etc.).
- Use DMX Terminators
If you have setup your devices in a daisy-chain: the final device in the daisy-chain must be terminated. The terminator absorbs signal power which would otherwise be reflected back into the cable and degrade the data. A terminator simply places a 110-120 Ohm, 0.5 Watt resistor across the two transmission wires.
- Isolate DMX from power
Connect all smart lights to a separate mains which is isolated from the dimmer racks or computer or the audio power amps. Unexpected events might occur if the mains line gets overloaded, and that might affect your DMX control gear.
- Importance of Isolated Splitter
Use an opto-isolated splitter wherever you can to protect your DMX control gear from any unwanted voltage spikes. Non-isolated dmx control devices must always be protected, otherwise they run the risk of being subject to sudden voltage spikes and might not survive.