DMXIS FAQDMXIS hardware cannot be found on my pc1. Install the drivers using the link under the download section of the ENTTEC website.Once drivers are installed correctly, you can verify this using (Device Manager):2. Once you have the DMXIS identified as shown in the pictures, you can use DMXIS app my interface cannot be found on Mac osx1. Download the latest version of DMXIS through the DMXIS forum ensuring the version of OSX you are running is equally up to date.2. Please install PRO-Manager (which will install the necessary drivers for you) You can also verify whether DMXIS is listed under System Information:3. If PRO-Manager cannot find your DMXIS, your Mac might have a conflicting driver installed (OSX 10.9 - OSX 10.10 only) Download & install this utility, and disable the Apple/VCP Driver: (click here to download)
3. Once you have disabled Apple/VCP driver , please replug DMXIS into USB port or restart your Mac, and DMXIS should be found as expected, if you are still experiencing issues, it is strongly recomended that you update OSX to the latest version, (this will automatically install the relevant class compliant Apple FTDI drivers and remove previous conflicting ones)4. Once you have the DMXIS identified as shown in the pictures, you can use PRO-Manager to test your DMXIS MY DMXIS hardware is not behaving as it shouldIf you ever need to restore DMXIS, because it's not being identified by DMXIS App, you can restore it by following these simple steps:
- Simply run the utility, click the button and type in your password.
- You must be logged into OS X as an admin user (verify this from System Preferences > Users & Groups)
- You must have a non-blank password configured (see http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13861 )
How do I install an older version of DMXis on mac osxIf you have OS X 10.4/10.5:
- Step1: Download and install PRO-Manager App
- Step2: Make sure your DMXIS unit is connected to the computer, new firmware can be downloaded from the website and uploaded to the unit. This same procedure can be used in order to restore a device from error mode.
- Step3: Close PRO-Manager and run DMXIS.
on OS X 10.6 and above:
- Open a Finder window
- Navigate to /Library/Receipts
- Delete "install.pkg"
How does the dmxis licensing system workYour DMXIS license is linked to your DMXIS hardware, NOT the computer running the software. Therefore, you can install the DMXIS software onto as many Windows & Mac computers as you like. The DMXIS hardware must be connected before you can actually transmit any DMX data.When you unlock your DMXIS software for the first time (at enttec.com/unlock-dmxis ) you will receive a 6 character unlock code (e.g. "axpsfz"). For full peace of mind, unlock the software once on a Mac and a PC (as the codes are slightly different) and stick the two unlock codes onto the DMXIS interface. Then, you know you will be able to install and use DMXIS on ANY computer, even if you have no internet connection. How Do I create a new Fixture Profile? Follow the guidance in this article: http://www.dmxis.com/creating-new-fixtures/ The online fixture creator can be found by following this link: http://fixtures.dmxis.com/ How can I ensure a reliable DMX setup?Follow these helpful rules while using DMX:
- Open Terminal (under Applications/Utilities)
- type sudo pkgutil --forget com.enttec.dmxis then press enter
- Enter your admin password when prompted
- Up to 32 devices
Up to 32 devices may be connected in a daisy-chain, with a terminator on the last device.
Using a DMX splitter/repeater (opto-isolator) can extend both cable distance (as the signal is regenerated and re-transmitted) and the number of devices (up to 32 per branch)
- Up to 100 meters
DMX can only travel up to 100 meters before the signal weakens.
- 5-Pin XLR Plugs
DMX officially supports 5-Pin XLR DMX cables only. However there are readily available 3-pin XLR converters, but it is important to ensure these are DMX compatible (correct pin-out).
DO NOT USE Microphone/audio Cables Many people often substitute cheaper balanced audio cable (regular microphone cable) with tragic results. Audio cable cannot support the signal rate required by the high speed DMX protocol. While the signal may pass over short distances, it is highly susceptible to interference and degradation, causing unpredictable results (such as blinking lights, confused intelligent fixtures, etc.).
- Use DMX Terminators
If you have setup your devices in a daisy-chain: the final device in the daisy-chain must be terminated. The terminator absorbs signal power which would otherwise be reflected back into the cable and degrade the data. A terminator simply places a 110-120 Ohm, 0.5 Watt resistor across the two transmission wires.
- Isolate DMX from power
Connect all smart lights to a separate mains which is isolated from the dimmer racks or computer or the audio power amps. Unexpected events might occur if the mains line gets overloaded, and that might affect your DMX control gear.
- Importance of Isolated Splitter
Use an opto-isolated splitter wherever you can to protect your DMX control gear from any unwanted voltage spikes. Non-isolated dmx control devices must always be protected, otherwise they run the risk of being subject to sudden voltage spikes and might not survive.